Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Little Ones to Him Belong

My last blog was almost a week ago and for that I apologize but I will defend myself and say that I’ve been battling some sickness. At this point we’re not sure if it’s strep throat or flu but I’ve mainly been in bed since Saturday evening. Not only was it torture to swallow for several days but it’s been miserable being away from the babies for so long. The good news is that I’ve had no fever today and I slept through the whole night last night. I’m still a little achy but hopefully that will subside soon as it is my only remaining symptom. Thanks for all the prayers and encouraging messages, it’s wonderful to know how cared for I am.

The sad news is that we all attended the burial for sweet little Kelly this afternoon. She and Kelsey (her twin) were ill for several days last week and just couldn’t seem to shake off the illness. The girls are HIV exposed (their mother has HIV) but so far both had tested negative for the disease themselves. Kelly was taken to the medical clinic here on the mission over the weekend where they proceeded to do all they know how to stabilize her little body. She was just too fragile and had too much pneumonia in her tiny little 5 month old body so last night the Lord decided it was time to let her rest with Him. Kelsey is doing better and hopefully will be back at the Haven tomorrow.

The burial (funeral refers to all the activities surrounding a death...mourning period etc.) was a simple service underneath a large tree behind the Haven. Many tears were shed as the family of Kelly, the Aunties that have been caring for her and our group stood under the tree and sang and prayed and thanked God that this sweet little one was no longer suffering (The service was in Tonga but the singing was touching regardless of the language). We all had been warned that the death of a little one was a possibility but the reality of it is hard to bear. Although we have only been here a few weeks the bonds we’ve established with these babies is a strong one and we hate to see this sweet little girl go.

So now more than ever I’m anxious to get back to the Haven tomorrow to rock, hug, and love on every baby I can get my hands on. Today I got to peek my head in the window of the “Lost Boys” room while we waited on the burial to begin and Peter and Ross grinned from ear to ear at me. Tomorrow, we play!

No comments:

Post a Comment