Thursday, June 3, 2010

Taking Snaps

Today and yesterday with the Aunties have been true learning experiences. I told Dr.Weaver that I think I’m going to miss the Aunties at Haven 1 every bit as much as I’m going to miss the babies. Yesterday there were just 3 Aunties working because Beatrice had to attend a funeral. So I stepped in to do more duties than I ever have before. Instead of just helping each Auntie for all practical purposes I would say I was an Auntie. The Tonga lessons have continued and now I know the words for wet and dry diaper as well as how to say good morning how are you, I’m fine, no, and come here. All have become very important phrases when dealing with little ones and Aunties alike. I didn’t really realize how much help my jumping into the duties that needed to be done was until Wednesday afternoon as we were leaving Pauline thanked me for making their day easier. I’m really glad that they see me as a help and not a hindrance.
Beatrice was back today so first thing I did was greet the Aunties outside the kitchen door and then ran in to see the babies. Beatrice came in behind me and said she needed me back outside to take some “snaps”. Not knowing what “snaps” where I looked at her funny and said “Ok, what are snaps?” she laughed and held her hands up to her face like she was holding a camera. Haha “O Ok a picture! Let me get my camera!” to which Beatrice replied, “No no Sarah there is a man with a camera I want you in my picture so I’ll remember you!” Apparently they had paid a friend that has a 35 mm camera to come take pictures. So I took one with Beatrice and one with Pauline, these ladies are precious and I’m loving getting to know them. One of my favorite chores to do with them is fold the clean cloth diapers and if you know me well you will say, “Sarah, enjoying folding laundry?!” But yes I enjoy this time because we all sit down in the floor with the giant pile of diapers and it seems some of our best conversations take place while folding. Pauline and I race to see who can fold the most diapers while we talk; I’ve won the last two times folding 15 and 19.
The babies are really amazing kiddos. The older ones are really starting to babble and come alive during the language class that the other girls do twice a day and the younger ones in the feeding group are putting on the pounds. Hamilton looks like a completely different baby than he did just 2 weeks ago. Joe, whose name is now officially Hunter is doing well and I try to snuggle with him any chance I get. Shawn, who rarely smiled outside of his crib, smiles and plays and has become my shadow along with Ross and Nita (they spread the love out if the other girls are in the house but I’m always in Haven 1 and the other girls rotate). If they are out their beds you can guarantee they’re hanging on to my skirt tail. In the afternoon while the feeding therapy is going on with the smallest babies the following 6 to 18 month olds are in my care out in the common play area, Bester, Elias, Jana, Courtney, Elaine, Jack, Shawn, Ross, Peter, Kritz, Lisa, Donna, Nita, and Teegan. The Aunties take this opportunity to wash diapers, sheets, bottles or just about any other chore that needs tending to knowing that I have become the human jungle gym. Ross and Nita are the only two who truly walk but several others are quick crawlers and climbers. Yesterday Ross, Nita, Shawn and Peter climbed back and forth a bazillion times over my legs as I sat on the floor. They’d all go across giggling and shoving each other before going back across the other way. All this was going on as I was attempting to keep Jana and Courtney out of one of the cabinets that they like to pull sheets out of and drag around the floor. Today Nita was in a mood and I couldn’t get out of her reach without her screaming and big crocodile tears rolling down her face. By the end of the afternoon we both needed a nap! Haha!
Wednesday night Jaime, Marja and I walked over to the college campus to join in the singing practice with their choir but discovered an all girls Bible study instead. Some of the girls that we’ve met before (Febby, Poynana (sp?), and Minsley) were there and excited that we showed up so we stayed for the study even though we were expecting singing. The topic for the study was “forgiving and forgetting” it lead to some pretty intense conversation and showed on some levels how young the faith is for many of these girls. They were very good about looking to their Bibles for answers and that was encouraging.
Thursday night it was back to the regularly scheduled programming of singing practice and although we were tired Jaime, Marja and I trekked over to the school. The singing in this little group is so beautiful and although most of it is in Tonga we attempt to join in when we can. After they sang several songs they asked us to teach them a song. We told them we weren’t prepared to teach but we’d try to bring something for them to learn next time. The very next Tonga song they started singing had a tune very similar to “Someday” so I told Jaime we could easily teach that to them. I wrote the words on the chalkboard and we proceeded to teach them the 4 parts. They did very well and seemed to enjoy the song. After practice there were a few announcements and then one of the guys we had met previously, Aphet, wanted to take some pictures with us. He thinks he’s really smooth so we took pics and had some good laughs before heading back to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment