Thursday, May 27, 2010

Moonbow

After finishing at the Haven around lunch time we packed up the Khaki Jackie for an interesting drive to Livingstone. The roads are very nice for about half the drive, but they haven’t finished the entire road project so 15 kilometer “detours” down dirt roads are common. So our 120 kilometer drive took close to 3 hours. I can’t begin to tell you how cramped we were with all our overnight bags and how asleep our rear ends were after the bumpy ride but we arrived at the Protea Hotel in one piece. We checked in then had a little down time before dinner. We were free to choose from several places in the little shopping center down the street from our hotel. Jaime, Lacey, Kaylee and I decided the burger joing “Steers” looked ok. Even though I wasn’t super hungry I managed to eat most of my fries and half my burger. (This should have been a sign to me about things to come) After dinner we went to explore the grocery store in the shopping center, you’d have thought we’d never seen one the way we all went up and down the aisles, I bought a water and a Sprite for later. I also purchased some baby wipes for the Haven, they ran out this week so a few packages will be needed until the giant shipping container that Harding sent over gets here in a week or so. After leaving the grocery store we had about an hour to hang out before leaving to go to the falls around 8:30. During this time I noted to my roommate, Jaime, that I wasn’t feeling great and I thought the greasy hamburger was not being kind to me but I pulled it together because I had to go see the “moonbow”.
Livingstone is the tourist capital for Zambia because it is home to Victoria Falls, one of the “7 Natural Wonders of the World” and rightly so. There are only a few places in the world where one can witness a “moonbow” and Victoria Falls is one of them. During a few select times a year here in Zambia, when the skies are clear and there’s a full moon a moonbow is formed above the falls (Seeing one was our main purpose for the trip to Livingstone). Now one may say, what does a moonbow look like? Well like a rainbow, but in shades of gray mainly. It is one of the most spectacular things I’ve ever seen. How awesome is our God to create such amazing wonders. I got some really great pictures of it thanks to my nice camera, I wish I could post them for you tonight but alas here at Namwianga picture uploading is not possible.
Well there are several trails all around the Falls that lead to different views, at our third stop to take pictures etc. I began to feel very very sick and I said goodbye to my supper. I felt much better after that and assumed all was well. But I would be sick again before the end of the night. Since no one else seemed ill I thought it was just me reacting to more grease then I’ve had in a few weeks. As soon as we got back to the hotel I got ready for bed, took a Pepcid and proceeded to enjoy the nice bed at the Protea.
The next morning Meaghann said that she got sick during the night too, I was automatically afraid that we might have picked up some food poisoning but I was feeling fine. Next Marja, Jaime, and Ian all complained of upset stomachs…uhoh…we didn’t all eat at the same restaurant so we’ve come to the conclusion that our little projectile vomiter at the Haven must have passed her virus on to us because all of us had been around her for significant amounts of time. Our drive back from Livingstone was not the most pleasant ever even though only Ian was truly ill during the drive. Stomach virus+ Africa= no fun. We are all mostly recovered tonight although I have not attempted anything stronger than plain rice on my tummy. Hopefully all are well enough to spend time at the Haven tomorrow; mainly we do not want to spread anything we have especially to Haven 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment