Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Rocking Elaine

Day 2 of being at The Haven brought lots of baby rocking. When I first arrived the babies had just been given bottles so I just picked up one and headed to the rocking chair. Miller is a tiny little guy that has the face of a grown man. He's very rigid and is not used to being held much so it's sort of like holding a 2x4, but he will smile and respond if only given a little encouragment. The other members of our group at settling into a nice routine of language classes, enrichment, and dealing with feeding issues. I have been trying very hard to form a good raport with the Aunties because as Dr.Weaver warned us they are very standoffish at first and by no means do we want to overstep their regular routine. That's why today after lunch I was so excited to hear my name called by Beatrice. She's the Auntie that takes care of the room thats home to the youngest babies. She speaks English well and has a welcoming smile so I had talked with her and expressed my want to help. Well while I was rocking Elaine, a precious little doe-eyed baby girl, I hear "Sarah!, Come!" so I hopped out of the rocking chair and headed towards the bathroom, where it was time for Elaines bath and I was promptly handed Meagan wrapped in a towel post-bath. Beatrice instructed me on what clothes to put on here and told me that it was my job to lotion, powder, diaper, and clothe each little one as she got them out of the tub. YAY!!! Sweet clean happy babies! Even after the vigourous washing they get I'm pretty sure I managed a smile out of each one. I'm positive that I don't accomplish the task as quickly as one of the Aunties might but I got them all done and sitting up in their bouncy seats and was quite happy with the results :) I then proceeded to help Beatrice change the bed linens and do some straightening up. I think that good things will be happening now that I've proved that I can handle whatever Auntie Beatrice throws my way.

1 comment:

  1. I sit here reading your latest posts with my healthy and plump 4 month old Sophia in my lap and tears running down my cheeks. Thank you for sharing your experiences. They remind me of how truly blessed I am. Sarah, you are an angel to those little ones! Love you! Carmen

    ReplyDelete